Get a taste of the Mediterranean with this flavoursome Persian Shirazi salad. Popular as a side dish in Middle Eastern cuisine and such a simple yet brightly coloured salad that will provide you with a herby zingy taste, perfect for accompanying tasty meals.
- 3 small Persian cucumbers (or 1 English cucumber), finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, de seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Zest of 1 lime
- Lime juice, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Wash and finely chop the cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onion. If you’re using Persian cucumbers, there’s no need to peel or de-seed them. Otherwise, peel and deseed a cucumber before chopping.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onion.
- Add the chopped fresh mint to the bowl and season
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the sea salt, cracked black pepper, lime zest, lime juice, and extra virgin olive oil to make the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss gently to combine.
- Chill the salad in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavours to meld together.
- Serve the chilled Shirazi salad as a refreshing side dish or on its own as a light and healthy snack.